How To Indoctrinate Students’ Minds with Math
Sec Math I In – Sync – Part 1 — Mathematical Content & Practices In-Sync* is written by math specialists in Jordan and Granite School Districts, Utah. These math specialists are proponents of constructivist math which is the bulwark of Type #2 Philosophy of Education. Type #2’s goal is indoctrination and manipulation of students’ minds. Type #1’s goal is academic achievement.
(1) Type #1 Philosophy of Education: Knowledge-based, academic, clearly worded, grade-level-specific content that is tested largely through objectively scored tests — These standards are built from K through Grade 12 and are taught mostly through direct, systematic instruction.
Type #1 standards could be referred to as the traditional method – the method of teaching that people perhaps 50 years old and older experienced when they were in school. This included the teaching of phonics, grammar, correct usage/spelling, cursive handwriting, classical literature, expository/persuasive/research writing, the four math functions taught to automaticity, fact-based and discreet courses in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Calculus, U. S. History, World History, Botany, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry.
(2) Type #2 Philosophy of Education — Project-based, subjective (emphasize cognitive domain – beliefs, opinions, emotions), subjectively assessed based upon the value system of the evaluator — emphasize multiculturalism, political correctness, environmental extremism, diversity, social justice agenda — These standards are built backwards from Grade 12 down to K (similar to trying to build a house from the roof down) and are taught mostly using the constructivist (project-based) approach.
Now Obama’s Common Core Standards (Type #2) are being forced into our public schools (except for states such as Texas, Alaska, South Carolina, Virginia, Minnesota, and Nebraska that refused to commit to CCS) and will follow the Type #2 philosophy of education in which the process will be emphasized more than the correct answer, and the social justice agenda will become more important than academic achievement.
Obama’s social justice agenda includes an emphasis on subjectivity, feelings, emotions, beliefs, multiculturalism, political correctness, social engineering, globalism, evolution, sexual freedom/contraceptives instead of abstinence, environmental extremism, global warming, victimization, diversity, an acceptance of the normalcy of the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender lifestyle, redistribution of wealth, a de-emphasis on factual knowledge, the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Founding Fathers, and American exceptionalism.
The Obama social justice agenda will be enmeshed into students’ curricula by way of math word problems, textbook examples, practice sets, questions at the end of chapters, informational text selections, essay assignments, student projects, formative and summative assessments (written and scored at the national level), community service at nationally approved sites, etc.
A GRAPHIC THAT ILLUSTRATES THE CCS TYPE #2 SOCIAL JUSTICE AGENDA
[The arrows mean “lead(s) to.”]
National standards → national assessments → national curriculum → teachers’ salaries tied to students’ test scores → national teacher evaluation system → teachers teaching to the test each and every day → national indoctrination of our public school children → national database of students and teachers including student/teacher identifiable data
To see the differences in Type #1 and Type #2 in English / Language Arts / Reading, please go to my article published on 3.26.12 entitled “Two Education Philosophies with Two Different Goals.” — http://libertylinked.com/posts/9703/2-education-philosophies-with/View.aspx
BACK TO CONSTRUCTIVIST COMMON CORE STANDARDS IN MATH — UTAH
Because Sec Math I In Sync fits the Type #2 Philosophy of Education upon which the Common Core Standards are built, the authors of Sec Math I In Sync sent their book to the U. S. Department of Education where it received accolades and was sent out by the USDOE as an example to other school districts to help them implement the Common Core Standards.
Following are examples from Sec Math I In Sync that exemplify the Type #2 Philosophy of Education as found in the Common Core Standards. It is very easy to see that these math problems will not only dumb students’ math skills down but will indoctrinate and manipulate their minds.
Please go to these two links to learn more about what Utahns are doing to fight back against Obama’s Common Core Standards:
Excerpts from Utahns Against Common Core website:
“Constructivism emphasizes group work, discovering math strategies for yourself instead of having tried and true standard algorithms given to you and learning why they work so well, and a lot of writing, all in the name of acquiring a “deeper understanding” of math.” http://www.utahnsagainstcommoncore.com/usoe-common-core-death-of-math/
Article: More Math Propaganda
If you missed the propagandizing group-think Groundhog problem from a couple days ago, click here to see the first “math” problem in Granite and Jordan school district’s new homegrown Common Core math book for 9th graders (Secondary math 1 book). I strongly encourage you to read it first and understand that the critiquing and reviewing of peer’s answers are all through the textbook.
Below are a few other problems from the book which are further examples of indoctrination. This first one has the potential to intrude into the home and 2nd amendment rights.
23. A serial killer is stalking the residents of Gloomy Falls, Mass., population 937. Every year the population diminishes by 4.5%. How many residents are left after the killer’s three-year rampage? HOW WILL YOU STOP HIM?
Are you kidding me? What if a child answers “I’d get our shotgun and kill him”? What happens to that child? How will he/she be treated? What will be noted by that teacher? “Oh, this child has violent tendencies. I’d better note that in his personal record or send him/her to the principal for a talking to.” Who wrote and reviewed this nonsense? Thank you Common Core and USOE for opening the door to the dumbing down of our children AND the propagandizing of them. Parents take note. You will need to be more vigilant than ever with what your children are learning in school.
5.2e (apply)—Crude Oil and Gas Mileage
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, a barrel of crude oil
produces approximately 20 gallons of gasoline. EPA mileage estimates indicate a
2011 Ford Focus averages 28 miles per gallon of gasoline.
1. Write an expression for g(x) , the number of gallons of gasoline produced by
x barrels of crude oil.
2. Write an expression for m(x) , the number of miles on average that a 2011
Ford Focus can drive on x gallons of gasoline.
3. Write an expression for m(g(x)) . What does represent in terms of the context?
4. One estimate (from www.oilvoice.com) claimed that the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico spilled 4.9 million barrels of crude oil. How many miles of Ford Focus driving would this spilled oil fuel?
5. Research how many Ford Focuses were sold in 2010. How many trips across the U.S. could every Ford Focus purchased have made on the spilled oil fuel?
Nice hit job on “big oil.”
Population and Food Supply
The population of a country is initially 2 million people and is increasing at 4% per year. The country’s annual food supply is adequate for 4 million people (now) and is increasing at a constant rate adequate for an additional 0.5 million people per year.
1. Based on these assumptions, in approximately what year will this country first experience shortages of food?
2. If the country doubled its initial food supply and maintained a constant rate of increase in the supply adequate for an additional 0.5 million people per year, would shortages still occur? In approximately which year?
3. If the country doubled the rate at which its food supply increases, in addition to doubling its initial food supply, would shortages still occur?
Having problems like these are troubling. Depending on the political bend of the teacher, it is easy for them to indoctrinate the class with a couple of quick comments or even a full blown discussion. Math is no longer math under such circumstances.
*Sec Math I In – Sync – Part 1 — Mathematical Content & Practices In-Sync — http://secmath1insync.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/secondary-math-book-1-final-2.pdf