Boston schools chief resigning after lawsuit says district shared student data with immigration officials

Jun 24, 2018 by

by Valerie Strauss –

Boston Schools Superintendent Tommy Chang is stepping down two years before the end of his contract after a three-year tenure marked by controversy and a new lawsuit that says the school district has shared student information with federal immigration officials.

Chang, who signed a five-year contract to run the 56,000-student district in 2015, said late Friday that he was negotiating a departure, and he left a farewell message on the district’s website that cited higher graduation and lower suspension rates among his accomplishments.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh released a statement saying that he and Chang had “mutually agreed” that there should be a change in leadership in the school district and that “significant work” remained to improve Boston schools. He did not mention the lawsuit, though it may have been the final straw for Chang.

Last year, Walsh blamed Chang in part when the Internal Revenue Service found irregularities in an audit of the city’s finances and fined Boston nearly $1 million. Walsh said Chang knew earlier than he did about the findings and did not tell him. In 2016, Chang was accused of botching a proposal to change start times for schools to allow older students to begin later. And the heralded Boston Latin School was accused by U.S. prosecutors of failing to seriously address allegations that students of color were being harassed.

Source: Boston schools chief resigning after lawsuit says district shared student data with immigration officials – The Washington Post

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.